General Geology / Geological Terms
- Geology Rocks
- Geology Matters: showcasing the geology collections of four Black Country museums
- GeoWhen Database
- The PALEOMAP Project
- About Geology by Andrew Alden
Crystals / Minerals
- On Time With Quartz. Ever wonder why your watch has “quartz” on it?
- Snow Crystal Research. Images of snow and ice obtained with a scanning electron microscope.
- Snow Crystals. Images of snow crystals from the world-renowned laboratories of California Technological University (Cal Tech).
- Mineral Web. Interact with rotating mineral structures
- The Asbestos Institute. Discover the truth about asbestos – from people who know it best!
- Magnetite on Mars. Microscopic magnetite crystals within the famous Martian meteorite ALH84001.
- Molecular Expressions Microscopy Primer. Learn how a polarizing microscope (an essential tool for geologists) works with this interactive tutorial.
- A database of minerals, including photographs and analyses
- The website of the Mineralogical Society (UK). Includes a picture gallery of spectacular mineral specimens, and links to other useful sites.
- The ‘collector’s corner’ at the website of the Mineralogical Society of America. Contains pictures of minerals and guidance on rock and mineral collecting.